Monday, May 8, 2017

Not my cup of tea.

The lessons from making a good cup of chai masala.


When I first tasted my chai masala,the delicate mix of tea,milk and spices was sheer delight.

The dumbo I was bought a packet of garam masala and proceeded to master the intricacy of making this brew with a pinch of salt.The nausea inducing concoction was worst than drinking sea water with a pinch of iodine.

Then when I was dining at a restaurant in Nepal,the restaurant captain was happy when I complimented them on their piquant cup of chai masala.He gave me some tips;use green cardomom pods, some cinnamom powder,ginger,milk and sugar.

This morning I perfected the chai masala after my umpteenth experiment.A delicate balance is sought to get the whiff of spices with the hearty taste of tea to get a harmonious blend.

Recipe


3-4 green cardomom pods crushed (thump it with the back of a pestle)
cinnamom (old bark) grated to get some powder ( readily ground cinnamom has no Kick)Dry roasting it in a pan to intensify the aroma.
Knob of fresh young ginger crushed to release the juices(old ginger is too overpowering)
low fat fresh milk and not the evaporated milk wannabe
dried honeycombed sugar

Process
1Dry roast cinnamon and cardomom
2.Add in Glenloch Ceylon Sri lanka tea bag mixed with cardomom
3.Add ginger,water and honeycombed sugar
4.Boil until bubbling  hot
5.lower flame and boil until aroma arises
6.Turn off heat and add low fat milk.
A heartwarming cup of chai masala.

No comments: