Friday, June 16, 2017

Lost in translation

I'm reading a book written by a Malaysian student studying in the UK and it's written in  colloquial Bahasa Malaysia and even though I'm a little rusty tapi masih boleh faham and brushing up on bilingual translation into English for my German friend.
      At the same time ,I was discussing with colleagues on how our youths lack general knowledge of world history and geography.I think the way it's taught kills the spirit of inquiry .Using the internet and posing questions on current affairs and then linking them to events in the past or an adventure quest on the internet would help youths understand and look at how history is interpreted according to context and agendas.That would instill critical analysis rather than rote memorisation.
      At the same time youths should interview people involved in past incidents to understand how events impact on individual lives from different perspectives.

No comments: