Friday, December 22, 2017

Kazuo Ishiguro Nobel Prize Lecture

I should say here that I have, on a number of other occasions, learned crucial lessons from the voices of singers. I refer here less to the lyrics being sung, and more to the actual singing. As we know, a human voice in song is capable of expressing an unfathomably complex blend of feelings. Over the years, specific aspects of my writing have been influenced by, among others, Bob Dylan, Nina Simone, Emmylou Harris, Ray Charles, Bruce Springsteen, Gillian Welch and my friend and collaborator Stacey Kent. Catching something in their voices, I've said to myself: 'Ah yes, that's it. That's what I need to capture in that scene. Something very close to that.' Often it's an emotion I can't quite put into words, but there it is, in the singer's voice, and now I've been given something to aim for. 

The emotional evocativeness of singers has been the muse and source of inspiration for the characterisation of authors.

Both Toshi and Yutaka Ozaki have that definitive mastery of nuances of emotions in their singing.I think Cui Jian voice works best in songs of rebelliousness as he has that spunk in him.


No comments: