Sunday, June 17, 2018

The expanding mind

With globalization,we strive to reach the understanding that beneath the different clothes,languages and lifestyles,we share common feelings and expectations of life .So viewing foreign language movies offer us a window into other cultures and mindset that may lead us to be more accepting of others and more open minded to differences.I'm now hoping to have a chance to see more indie movies and not only mainstream cinema.It's long been acknowledged that Japanese movies offer a different cinematic experience from Kurosawa's to anime by Studio Gibli.Now I'm into Naomi Kawase's movies that show the quirky frailty of the individuals.I'm seeking a chance to view Radiance,Vision and Sweet Bean.I've bought the novel by Durian Suguwa on Sweet Bean and hope the movie will do justice to the interpretation of the characters in the novel.I'm also hoping some cinema would release French movie starring Juliette Binoche Un Soleil Interieur that won her a Cannes award.Someone should make a movie of the feminist Simone De Beauvoir.
    The other movies by Italian auteur is also touching especially the movie Life is Beautiful  and The tiger and the snow.But I'm glad that movie audience are now starting to appreciate  Bollywood movies by Amir Khan like PK,Dangal,Three Idiots and my favourite The Lunch Box-very heart wrenching tales of ordinary people made by creative directors and scriptwriters.Korean movies are also getting more acceptance by international audience like the tale of Okja or the snowpiercer.
Foreign movies offer us a new way of looking at the  world
   Just as I'm moving to the third and final part of Homo Deus by Noah Harari,I reflect on the myriad new ideas that this book offers-it's literally mind blowing as it offers me a new outlook at issues I've thought about and didn't really understand until I came across his interpretation of it. I agree that we have the experiential self that undergoes the whole gamut of emotions and the narrating self which reinterprets it".Most of us identify with our narrating self.When we say"I",we mean the story in our head,not the onrushing stream of experiences we undergo"WOW Harari is a DEEP thinker,and I'm so reluctant to see the book coming to its end.It's like saying goodbye to the one who has shone a new light into my mind and illuminated the dark corners and swept away the cobwebs that blur.The problem with me is all this existential angst bull shit is getting me nowhere.Must get outta head and more into the experiential self -to feel more,to eat more,to see more and to think less
     

No comments: