Thursday, January 4, 2018

Donation of collection of books

If we don't let go of the old,we have no place to bring in and usher in the new.
My collection of books are getting to overtake every crook and cranny of my apartment.So I'm gonna look to donate them to some libraries.While I was exchanging novels with my German colleague,an avid reader,she too was spring cleaning and decided to donate her stash.
          When I come to think of it,they are just words printed on pages of paper.They are worthless as investment and if I bought shares or gold jewellery with the money spent on books,I would get more returns on my investment.However,I'm an incorrigible optimist and idealist and a lover of books.Ideas turn me on.So rather than adding to my monetary gain,I'd prefer to invest in expanding my pool of knowledge as I believe the pen is mightier than the sword.Winston Churchhill mobilized and inspired the British to win over a formidable enemy by "weaponising words" and this is the great orator who said "jaw jaw is better than war war".
        Back to knowing what a person reads as a key to understanding them,on the top of the stash of books  my German colleague gave me for donation,the title of the first novel on the top caught my eye.My God! That's the same novel I have in my collection that I planned to donate .The cover was different as it was an older edition but that was unmistakeable "The Women's Room" by Marilyn French. Her groundbreaking fiction or some may say semi autobiography.Now  when I release my novels into the open shelf,should I put in my contact details  so that it's like releasing a caged animal into the wild.Who will be the next reader who picks up the book and what do they think and how will they respond to it? I'm sorely tempted to do that to see the feedback to my pick of books.To be or not to be.To do or not to do? That's the question.

No comments: