Sunday, March 25, 2018

It's no joke,seriously

Reading a novel Christine lent me Funny in Farsi A Memoir of growing up Iranian in America by Firoozeh Dumas.I've always had the impression that Iranian women were very cultured,literate and funny,independent thinkers.One of the best workshop I attended for creative brainstorming to write scripts came from a workshop conducted in Central market by a female Iranian playwright who advised us to look at news stories as a springboard for plot and ideas.My previous Iranian colleagues were well versed with Russian and European literature and this novel I'm reading is so funny that I'm gufawing with laughter and seriously it's so funny.

"My dad's attempts to find a "vater closet" in a department store would usually lead us to the drinking fountain or the home furnishings section.Asking my father to ask the waitress the definition of sloppy joe or Tater Tots was no problem.His translations,however,were highly suspect.Waitresses would spend several minutes responding to my father's questions,and these respponses in turn would be translated as "She doesn't know."Thanks to my father's translations,we stayed away from hot dogs,catfish, and hush puppies,and no amount of caviar in the sea would have convinced us try mud pie."

this is directly opposite to chinese names of food like Phoenix Claw, dai Yee Ma or grand aunt marries off a daughter,or dragon swallowing a pearl.Such fanciful names whet the appetite.

  I'm down with a bad respiratory allergy from inhaling the fumes of the fresh paint in the office.itchy throat,watery eyes are sneezing non stop.i need my outdoor fresh air of oxygenated purified ozone ,gasp.i wish Hyde would sing some songs a capella like the fourth of Avenue cafe when he lets out an audible sigh.He's very into experimentation with vocals like the hard high pitched heavy metal style to low husky ones.looking forward to an auditory blast soon.

No comments: